Attorney and Director of Marketing Amanda J. Shuman
- Amanda is a skilled litigator, trained mediator, and is certified in the Collaborative Law Process, focusing her practice on all areas of family law and small business advising.
- Amanda firmly believes that the court is a tool rather than a weapon. Putting contested issues before a judge for feedback while moving the case forward procedurally often allows clients to amicably resolve their disputes without a full trial. Amanda is results oriented, always striving to get her clients a durable agreement.
- Amanda is passionate about helping women entrepreneurs succeed. As an Advisory Board member with the Center for Women and Enterprise (CWE) Central Massachusetts, she has held office hours, taught in-person classes and webinars, and mentored a graduate of CWE’s business planning course. She also serves as an on-call “ask an Expert” for wiseHer, Inc., an online platform that connects entrepreneurs with experts, mentors, and coaches to help them with their business.
- Amanda’s latest initiative is a TV show on Ashland Community Media (WACA) to help individuals “find their superpowers,” whether starting their own businesses or remaking their lives after divorce.
- Before attending law school, Amanda worked as a Paralegal at Brand & Associates (now Brand & Tapply, LLC), a complex civil litigation and insurance defense firm in Wellesley, MA.
- After law school, Amanda was the Business Development Specialist and General Counsel to Eyetechs, Inc., a consulting firm serving the ophthalmology industry.
- Amanda also served as a peer mentor at the Justice Bridge Legal Center, a nonprofit organization which focuses on providing affordable legal services and equal access to justice for those not otherwise served by the overtaxed legal aid system. Amanda is proud to have worked with Justice Bridge since the organization opened its doors in 2014, first as an attorney accepting referrals from the organization and later as a mentor to other attorneys.
- Prior to joining DangerLaw in May 2016, Amanda ran her own solo practice in Newton, focusing primarily on complex family law matters.
- Named a Massachusetts Super Lawyer and Rising Star in Family Law for 2020 & 2021
- Featured/quoted in US News & World Report, wiseHer, Fit Small Business and Smallbizdaily and as a Staples small business podcast guest
- Featured presenter for Center for Women & Enterprise (CWE), American Society of Ophthalmic Administrators (ASOA) and wiseHer
- Coauthor of a chapter on Recordkeeping and Electronic Medical Records for Principles and Practice in Ophthalmic Assisting: A Comprehensive Textbook, published in 2018
Professional and Community Associations
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Leadership Academy Fellow, 2017-2018
- Center for Women and Enterprise (CWE) Central Massachusetts Advisory Board
- Boston Bar Association
Admitted to Practice
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- State of Rhode Island (inactive)
- United States District Court, District of Massachusetts
Outside of DangerLaw
In her spare time, Amanda enjoys spending time with friends and family, cooking and refinishing furniture.
- University of Pittsburgh, Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Political Science and English Writing
- University of Massachusetts School of Law, Juris Doctor (J.D.)
Office: (617) 340-3231 x 4